Acceptance speech delivered during the Permanent Plans Inc. Peak Performers Awards Night, 9 March 2005.
Magandang magandang gabi po sa kanilang lahat. It is customary to give thanks to key people on the acceptance of any award received. But tonight I wish to break from tradition. Not that I am not grateful, no, far from it, but indulge me on this occasion, if I instead, celebrate a small triumph of the human spirit.
Last January 29, Saturday midnight, the PPI-Angeles branch was broken into, ransacked and maliciously set on fire. Fortunately, the fire attracted attention and the blaze was put down quickly. It was my wife’s office that was set alight, and so, it was her office that suffered the worst damage. With resolve and determination, though, operations were not disrupted. Yes, it was not quite the same, but PPI-Angeles did not close doors even for a single day because of that fire.
The fire may not have wrought extensive physical damage, but at lifetime ringside tickets, I saw the emotional effects on my wife. When confronted with the darker side of human nature, decent people can’t help but recoil from the ugliness. In the classic flight or fight scenario, the instinct to escape almost won. She was that close to calling it a day at PPI.
I am also an academic; a chemist at that. In my day job, I explain how and why chemistry works. So why did Nai hang on? I like to think that it’s because of the coming together of many things that boil down to the right chemistry. The same chemistry that brought this award: Permanent Plans Inc., its management and the direction they are leading the company to; the work itself we find worth our while doing; our dignity and integrity we protect in the performance of our duties; the strength we draw from family, friends and one another; and above all, a benevolent God whose providence and protection is unequalled. All of these have collectively lifted my wife out of the doldrums. When the chemistry is right, reactions occur. And in PPI, I’m glad to say, the chemistry is just fine. And so she stayed. And forges on.
Eastern mythology paints a wondrous picture of a legendary bird, the Phoenix that consumed itself by fire, only to rise again from its ashes, young and strong. Rejuvenated. Resurrected. Mommy, Nai, I share this honor with you. We have worked very, very hard for Permanent Plans the last year. Never mind that fire. We shall be the Phoenix.
No comments:
Post a Comment